Electro-welded Tube Lines
Thanks to the know-how acquired over the years, FIMI is able to design, build and install plants for the production of tubes in the range from 13 up to 508 mm API diameter, manufacturing them according to production speeds and thicknesses upon customer specification.
Besides complete lines, FIMI provides individual parts for the replacement or integration into existing production lines: uncoilers, coil opening groups, automatic strip joint benches, horizontal spiral accumulators, straighteners.
Tubes diameters range
Material thickness range
Tubes lengths range
Maximum working speed
Maximum coil weight
FIMI designers face every day new challenges to keep their machines at the top level in technology, maintainability and reliability. Every project is verified in every detail to give the customer the best result. The flexibility, the experience and the wide know-how reached in all the areas related to industrial machineries, allow FIMI to offer a complete portfolio of lines and related machines to produce electro-welded tubes.
Time by time, the experience in tube mills design has grown passing from small sizes and thicknesses to high-end tube production.
The quality of the tubes produced also increased from structural pipes for construction to Oil & Gas also including machinery for the finishing of the tubes. This brought the know-how in units such as tube crop, hydrostatic-test, non-destructive testing (in-line and off-line) and automatic packing.
The technology in the roll forming process has been further enhanced with the implementation of linear tube forming (Cage Forming), replacing some of the standard steps giving more flexibility and productivity to our tube production plants.
FIMI Tube lines must guarantee the best product quality also giving the best performances during production (in terms of speed achieved) and during maintenance/set-up (in terms of ease of maintainability and quick-change solution for equipment set-up).
To achieve the best performances, the line also needs the best cutting technology. For this reason, much research has been carried out on fly cutting systems to guarantee the best performances in terms of cycle time and blade life.
On its high-quality tube mills, FIMI also offers a single drive on each profiling shaft. This allows extreme control of the speed and torque distributed on each shaft and the possibility of adjusting the ratio between top and bottom speed to avoid sliding on the strip surfaces.
Together with the accumulator, it allows production to be non-stop in order to introduce a new coil once the one in production has run out, while maintaining a constant line speed.
To allow a non-stop operation of the mill, the strip preparation bench can join the head and tail of two coils, after cutting them, in order to have a perfect welding edge. The whole cycle can be performed in fully automatic mode.
The unit consists of:
- Entry Guiding Adjustable System.
- Pinch System for the head of the strip.
- Welding Torch.
- Milling System for welding seam.
- Pinch System for the tail of the strip.
- Exit Guiding Adjustable System.
To avoid stopping the production during coil-to-coil seam, there is a spiral accumulator to provide the correct strip buffer for this operation. The entry section run faster than the profiling unit giving the margin to weld head and tail.
The system can operate with the following methods:
- Synchronised operation: inlet and outlet speed are the same as the line.
- Stopping the line for welding the coil tail/head. In this phase, the line takes the material stored in the accumulator.
- When the welding process is finished, the inlet speed is higher than the outlet speed to quickly accumulate the strip amount used during the welding phase.
- When the defined amount of strip is reached, the machine automatically synchronises with the speed of the tube line.
FIMI cut-off machines are completely designed following a perfect understanding of the technological cycle, customer’s needs and feedback constantly received from our experience in the field.
FIMI manufactures cut-off machines able to cut tubes in the range from 13 up to 610 mm API outside diameter, according to customer’s specifications based on production speed and thickness.
- Four blades shear – orbital flying Cut-Off
- Double blade shear – flying shear
- Single blade shear – flying shear
The line consists of:
- Coil loading (coil car and uncoiler).
- Coil opening unit.
- Automatic strip seam bench.
- Strip accumulator with deviators and pinch-roll to launch the strip.
Tube Forming Group
- Break down stands.
- Linear or traditional cage forming.
- Full direct forming from hollow sections
- Edge guiding units
- Welding head
- External scarfing tool
- Cooling tank
- Calibration unit
- Turkish Heads
- Fixed shears with 1 or 2 blades.
- Flying shears with 1, 2 or 4 blades.
- Quick change for:
- Internal scarfing tool.
- External scarfing tool.
- Scrap schopper or scrap baller.
- UST for welding seam.
- Inkjet marker.
Need more information?
How to ask for information
- Download the form to fill out from the button below.
- Fill in the form with the required fields.
- Attach the form in the form below under “Attach completed form”.